Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Power Outages, Trips, and Pets...of sorts!

So friends, back by popular demand....the watson blogging. I will try to do better, no promises though. We are a busy family. So...following hurricane Ike we lost power for several days and had super strong winds that resulted in a beautiful oak tree almost falling on our house....simultaneously we were helping to man the red cross evacuee shelter that was set up at our church here. The tree has since been cut down and we took off a week to go to GlenRose. So we ended up getting a mini vacation to our old hometown and some much needed rest for Ben and I. We had a super fun time at Fossil Rim Wildife Center with Ben's sis and folks on a guided tour of the park. Since his sis, Aimee, is a super friendly doctor in the area, she was able to score us this neat tour. Great Perks to being a doctor!! We had a great time with them and my beautiful and sweet nephew Nick!!! He is such a cutie. I wish I had a pic to post. We also got to spend some time with the Vallasters while in GR and the kids had a fun time with their best friends while Amy and I got to catch up over her 6th pregnancy nausea. Hey! Im just glad its her and not me this time...seriously! We had the opportunity Friday night to visit the Promise and see some faces we have really missed!!! We really were able to enjoy the show and getting to visit with old friends.
So....now about the pets....call me crazy, I do anyway...But all in one week we have aquired a cutie pie black lab puppy, whom we have named Duncan, and10- 3 week old baby chicks. The puppy was completely an impulse decision--As are most puppy buys...at least in my life...I guess I am mesmerized by puppy breath when I am agreeing to this torment. We havent hardly slept since we brought the little bugger home on Saturday! The chicks we got today, but this decision was premeditated. I have been wanting chickens for a while now but finally got around to going to get them today. The girls were so excited and PROMISED to help....we shall see!!! I am planning to let them have the majority of the chicken raising responsibilities, and Miranda has already been asking all kinds of questions about them so I am directing her to the chicken manual we have borrowed. Miranda is such a rule-follower I am sure that after reading it she will be reminding me of all that we need to do. She has taken it upon herself today to create a chart to keep track of feeding responsibilities for all the animals old and new. So funny how meticulous her personality...so different from me....so FOREIGN!!! Where did this child come from??? Mikayla is the puppy mom and I think Duncan himself has already bonded with her. Of Course, Mikayla is the friend-maker kid...and this carries over to animals as well as humans. I have given in to letting the little canine sleep in her bed tonight...I mean Ben and I have to start getting some shut-eye. Kay was thrilled, to say the least at her newfound responsibility. Brooke and Avery cant wait to hold the chicks tommorrow....maybe I can snap some pics of them. As for me I was very happy to get a little tiny bit of "me" time today at volleyball...the rest of the day seemed like a flurry of activities and kid questions...busy busy days like these I treasure and yet at the same time wish life could slow a bit... or maybe just the responsibilities of life. I do love the fun stuff...the times together that pique our interests as a family ( Like picking out baby chicks and bringing them home). I know one day not far from now I will truly miss the wonder in the eyes of a that 4 year old with the new puppy (its better than Christmas) or the excitement of figuring out things in life that a bright-eyed seven year old brings. I want to soak it all in and never forget the preciousness of the gifts I have been given for such a short time... And I have to say at the end of the day (which it is way past now) that my new favorite thing to hear from my super capable 8 year old is "Mommy is there anything else I can help you with?" We are so blessed.

1 comment:

Groovewoman said...

Okay I am totally choked up right now. I have a lump the size of Texas in my throat and I wish that you were here for me to talk to about mommy stuff. I have been feeling so inadequate lately and I wonder if I will get the chance to experience those things with Japheth as well.

Okay, gotta go now, I cant hold the tears! Glad you are back blogging.
Love you & miss you terribly!